20 November 2007

The Chili Peppers Are Slow on the Uptake


The Red Hot Chili Peppers, everyone's favorite band for about two weeks in the sixth grade, have decided to sue Showtime/their awful, awful show Californication. I'm not entirely sure why this is just happening now, eleven months after we first heard about this show way back during pilot season. Perhaps Chili and the Pepps (as I like to call them), had figured they'd let it slide as free publicity for their 1999 album of the same name. That is, theoretically, until they actually saw an episode of this vulgar, crass, hacky, piece of shit show and decided it wasn't in their best interest to have any association between the two. And you know if LTNA thinks something is vulgar, it's got to be pretty uncle-fucking, pig shit, dead baby vulgar. Just sayin'.

"The band claim that the the title is 'inherently distinctive, famous ... and immediately associated in the mind of the consumer' with the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Anthony Kiedis, the band’s lead singer, added: 'Californication is the signature CD, video and song of the band's career, and for some TV show to come along and steal our identity is not right.'"


Yeah, the RHCP are pretty much right on this one, and I hope they win. I don't really think they need the money, and I'm not exceptionally invested in the principle of it all, or anything. Mostly, I just think the show is dreadful, and those hacks need to pay for wasting thirty minutes of my life on that pilot.

I had actually assumed that Showtime had gotten the band's permission in order to clear the title of the show before, you know, airing it. But, I guess I gave Showtime, and by proxy the Chili Peppers, too much credit for assuming they'd actually be on top of their shit enough to realize the blatantly obvious conflict in a more timely fashion. The show's hack writing staff also rips off the Peppers' song title "Dani California," with one of the characters sharing the same name.

Sadly, I doubt this lawsuit will do anything except go away or, at best, force Showtime to shell out some dough to make it go away. There are enough imbeciles out there to have made this show a big enough success for it to already have a second season pickup. On the plus side, the success of Californication (the show), gives me hope. After all, if perverted tripe written by hacks can enjoy that kind of success here in Hollywood, there's hope for LTNA too! Did I mention the people behind this show are goddamned hacks? 'Cause they are. Hacks, that is.

No comments: